First explored in the 1620's, Laconia was for many years a part of Meredith and Gilford known as Meredith Bridge. Early explorers had hoped to follow the Piscataqua River north to Lake Champlain, in search of the great lakes and rivers of Canada told of in Indian lore. These explorers were known as the Laconia Adventurers, Laconia being a region of ancient Greece. Incorporated as a city in 1893, Laconia includes the villages of Lakeport and Weirs Beach. “Weirs” is the name of primitive fishing devices discovered at the outlet of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Click here for more information on Laconia, New Hampshire