Islands on Lake Winnipesaukee
Just a few of Lake Winnipesaukees' Islands.
View more aerial photos of islands.
Lake Winnipesaukee is absolutely amazing when it comes to its islands.
Over 274 inhabitable islands many bearing the same name. (must have been interesting for the mail boat:-))
This is a list of Islands on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.
If you have any other island info Please email us
1 island with greater than 1000 acres (Long Island 1186 ac.)
3 islands between 500 and 1000 acres
(Bear Island 780 ac., Cow Island 522 ac., Governor's Island 504 ac.)
7 islands between 100 and 500 acres
(Rattlesnake Island 368 ac., Welch Island 187 ac., Little Bear Island 143 ac., Stonedam Island 141 ac., Timber Island 136 ac., Sleepers Island 113 ac., Mark Island 102 ac.)
6 islands between 50 and 100 acres 25 islands between 10 and 50 acres
226 islands with less than 10 acres
Badger Island(11 acres) Barndoor Island(88 acres) Battleship IslandBeaver Island(7 acres) Bear Island(780 acres) (second largest island)it is the only island with its own church. Becky’s Garden (Winnipesaukee's smallest island) Big IslandBig Beaver Island(30 acres) Birch #1 Island(25 acres) Birch #2 IslandBlack IslandBlack Cat Island(75 acres) One of the islands bridged to the mainland. Accessible year round. Blanche IslandBlanchards IslandBlueberry IslandBreezy IslandBrew IslandCamp Island(28 acres) Chase's Island(19 acres) Children's IslandChip IslandChurch IslandChristmas Island(4 acres) Cosy IslandCove IslandCove #1 IslandCove #2 IslandCove #3 IslandCow Island(522 acres) Settled in 1812 by Paul Pillsbury who erected a grist mill here, and is said to be the founder of the world famous Pillsbury Flour firm. Crescent Island Cub IslandDale IslandDevens IslandDiamond Island(37 acres) (In 1861 Diamond Island was home to The Diamond Island House, a hotel frequented by summer guests. The Mount Washington and the steamer Lady of the Lake docked at the island as part of their regular stops as a service to their lodgers. At one point it was rumored that the island supported a Brothel in which the patrons would arrive by train and take small boats to the island for the “illicit” entertainment. The hotel also hosted a restaurant and bowling alley and was later moved across the ice to the Weirs and became part of the Hotel Weirs which was destroyed by fire in 1924. During World War II the United States Navy operated a test sight for remote controlled submarines off the north western side of the island. Off the south side of the island remains a US Navy sound test laboratory and is a popular dive site. Today, Diamond Island is home to many summer residents in private cottages and homes. The islands convienient location to the mainland makes it a popular spot.once the site of a large hotel known as the Diamond Island House. In 1865, it became the property of the Winnipisseogee Lake Steamboat Company) Dollar IslandDolly IslandDow Island(32 acres) Eagle Island(named for its nesting site for a bald eagle in the 1880s)was owned by Jack Wright a famed Boston attorney. During ownership of the island, his wife planted forty two varieties of shrubs and trees on this tiny island. East Twin IslandEcho IslandEvergreen IslandFarm Island(21 acres) Far Ozone IslandFish Island(4 acres) Five Mile Island(13 acres) Foley's IslandGanzey Island(15 acres) Gem IslandGichigumi IslandGlines Island(7 acres) Goodwin IslandGoose IslandGoose Egg Rock IslandGovernor's Island(504 acres) Grant IslandGuay IslandGun IslandGypsy IslandHalf-Acre IslandHalf Mile #1 IslandHalf Mile #2 IslandHarbour IslandHarmony IslandHarvard IslandHawk’s Nest IslandHelen IslandHemlock Point Island Hen IslandHermit IslandHorse Island (Many years ago a summer resident of Center Harbor was transporting his horse to the Weirs by boat, when a storm arose, sinking the craft. They never found the man however the horse was found living contently on this island.) Hull Island (9 acres) Hurricane Island Indian IslandJib IslandJoe's Island(8 acres) Jolly Island(50 acres) Keel IslandKeniston Island(18 acres) Kinneho Island(5 acres) Isle of Pines IslandLedge IslandLeroy IslandLess In Area Island Lincoln Island Little IslandLittle Badger IslandLittle Barndoor Island(6 acres) Little Bear Island(143 acres) Little Beaver IslandLittle Birch IslandLittle Blueberry IslandLittle Camp Island(6 acres) Little Cove IslandLittle Ganzey IslandLittle Goodwin IslandLittle Huck IslandLittle Keniston IslandLittle Loon IslandLittle Mark IslandLittle One Mile IslandLittle Pine Tree IslandLittle Pine #1 IslandLittle Pine #2 IslandLittle Pine #3 IslandLittle Plum IslandLittle Ragged IslandLittle Six Mile IslandLittle Two Mile IslandLittle Vixen IslandLittle Whortleberry Island(6 acres) Littlest Mud Island Loan's IslandLockes Island(42 acres) Long Pine IslandLoon #1 IslandLoon #2 IslandLoon #3 IslandLoon #4 IslandLong Island(1,186 acres )(Winnipesaukee's largest island) Mark Island(102 acres) Melody Island (20 acres) Melvin IslandMiddle Beaver Island Mink Island(26 acres) Mt. Major IslandMoose IslandNabby’s IslandNine Acre Island(13 acres) How did it get its name? North Pasture Island Oak IslandOctober Eve IslandOne Mile Island(6 acres)It was here on a foggy Thursday morning, early in 1910,that the old sidewheeler MOUNT WASHINGTON ran aground. There was very little damage done. Outlaw IslandOvernight IslandPalmer Island Parker IslandPenny #1 IslandPenny #2 IslandPerch IslandPig IslandPine Island(74 acres) Pinehurst Island Pistol Island Pitchwood Island(15 acres) PixieRock #3 Island Pleasant Pop IslandPoplar IslandQuarter Mile IslandRacoon IslandRagged Island(12 acres) Randall IslandRattlesnake Island(368 acres) (Rattlesnakes were actually found on the island-in fact as late as the 1940's. The skins and remains of some of these snakes can be seen at the Libby Museum on Rt109 in Wolfeboro. Rock #1 IslandRock #2 IslandRocky Ridge #1 IslandRocky Ridge #2 IslandRocky Ridge #3 IslandRound #1 Island(43 acres) Round #2 IslandSaint's Rest IslandSandy Island(67 acres) Scavenger IslandShelter IslandShephard IslandShip IslandSix Mile Island(23 acres) Sleepers Island(113 acres) Small IslandSpectacle (N)Island Spectacle (S)Island Spider IslandSpring IslandSquirrel IslandStarr IslandSteamboat IslandStonedam Island(141 acres) (So named because of an old stone causeway connecting it with the mainland on Meredith Neck.)Island purchased in 1982 by Lakes Region Conservation Trust. Today's home of Stonedam Island Wildlife Preserve Store IslandThree Mile Island(47 acres) (One of the summer homes of the Appalacian Mountain Club since 1900.) Timber Island(136 acres) Tip IslandTreasure Island(10) Two Mile IslandUppershoe IslandWallace IslandWelch Island(187 acres)Map Welcome IslandWentworth IslandWhaleback Island(4 acres) Whaleback Point IslandWhortleberry Island(69 acres) Winch IslandWindswept IslandWorcester Island(18 acres)
Copyright © by Lake Winnipesaukee - Lakes Region - NH Official Lakes Region Website and Lake Winnipesaukee information and News All Right Reserved.