Steamboatin' during the nineteenth century was big business. If we were to compare the old dirt roads that connected the towns and villages of the Lakes Region, its easy to see that water travel was fast, convenient and accepted means of transportation for decades. Railroad stations were a common on every public dock throughtout the Lakes Region, where trains would transfer passengers to one of the railroad owned steamboats for the next jaunt. You would find on any given day more than a dozen steamboats throwing soot into the air as they carried passengers and freight to all points throughout the Lakes Region.
Built about 1833 and launched at Lake Village. Powered by steam engine from an old saw mill.
Built in 1856. Built on the same principle of the Belknap in that her career was comparatively short.
Built during the years 1866-67 at Center harbor(by Wentworth & Sweatt) and named after the late US senator Hon. James Bell.
The Maid of the Isles
Originally known as the Gazelle, Built at Wolfeboro by D. Haley in 1877. After a few years of service, she lay sunken at Wolfeboro until the years 1887-88 when she was rebuilt on Long Island by Herbert A Blackstone. In 1903 she was condemned and torn apart.
Built in 1877 at Newburgh, N.H., for George H. Robie, Charles D> Robie and Charles Brown.The vessel arrived at Lake Village on July 5, 1877. This was the first steamer large enough for both freight and passenger business, and fitted with a stern propeller. It was later sold and operated by Elmer E. Davis.
The Belle of the Waves
Built in 1882 by Arthur Lamprey, at Long Island, and burn't at the back side of the island in 1887 or '88
Built in 1882 at Long Island by Alenson and Robert Lamprey. it was purposely built for freight business and towing logs within different points of the lake. It burned at the Moultonboro wharf in 1892.
Built in 1886 at Lake Village by Herbert A> Blackstone. The vessel was originally built for Charles F. Brown and Alfred Wentworth. The vessel was later owned by Dr. J. A. Greene until it burned at the Long Island wharf in 1903.
Built in 1889 at Melvin Village by Arthur Lamprey and used primarily for freight service.
Built in 1889 in New York and shipped in Lakeport, N.H., at which time it was orginally called the Carroll. Dr. J. A. Greene bought the vessel in 1891 and changed its name to the Roxmount. Today it is more popularly known as the Belle of the Isles.
Built in 1887 at Center Harbor, it was burned at its moorings at Black's wharf. After it was rebuilt, it was named the Ethel Burnell.
Info reproduced with permission of the authorFollow the Mount by Bruce Heald
Find many books by this author in our Winnipesaukee Store